Help to Buy Equity Loan England

Our aim is to help as many first-time buyers as we can. As part of that we offer mortgage lending to participants of the government’s Help to Buy Equity Loan scheme in England, which allows first-time buyers to borrow money from the government towards the cost of a new-build home.

How it works

The current Help to Buy Equity Loan scheme in England was introduced in April 2021 and runs until 31 March 2023. Under the scheme, as long as your client is buying a new-build home and meets eligibility criteria, they could borrow a minimum of 5% and up to a maximum of 20% (40% in London) of the full property purchase price from the government meaning they could buy a home with as little as 5% deposit. They do not pay interest on the equity loan for the first 5 years. They start to pay interest in year 6, on the equity loan amount they borrowed (full details at Gov.uk). There is a cap on the maximum purchase price allowed under the scheme - the cap varies, depending on whereabouts in England you are buying a property under this scheme.

Eligibility

  • The scheme is available to first-time buyers in England.
  • It's only available on new builds and the home must be bought from a homebuilder registered for Help to Buy: Equity Loan.
  • There are regional limits on how much the property can cost.

Help to Buy Wales

In Wales, both First Time Buyers and existing homeowners can apply to borrow between 10% and 20% of the purchase price of a new home (which must be reserved with a Help to Buy – Wales registered homebuilder). There are no equity loan interest repayments to the government for the first five years; interest repayments start from year 6.

With the current Welsh Help to Buy scheme, the maximum property purchase price allowed is £250,000. The homebuyer must provide a minimum 5% deposit and take out a repayment mortgage to cover the remaining amount.

For more information on the scheme in Wales, please visit the government website.

Help to Buy Scotland

The Help to Buy Affordable New Build Scheme closed for new applications on 5 February 2021, however the Help to Buy Smaller Developer Scheme is available until 31 March 2022.

It's open to any First Time Buyers and existing homeowners as long as they are buying a new-build home through an eligible developer with a purchase price not more than £200,000, and no interest is payable for the lifetime of the equity loan.

To be eligible for the scheme, the buyer must have a minimum deposit of 5% and the mortgage and deposit must cover at least 85% of the property purchase price. The remaining share of up to 15% of the purchase price will belong to the Scottish government as part of the shared equity agreement.

Even though the buyer's name will be on the title and they will hold the deeds, there will also be a mortgage or ‘standard security’ on the property, which is designed to protect the government’s share.

For more information on the scheme in Scotland, please visit the government website.


Visit our products page to see what’s on offer or get in touch to see how we could help your clients get the keys to their first home.

Our products

Speak to your BDM

BDM Finder